Allergy season can be unpleasant, as most of us don’t look forward to the sneezing, coughing, itchy irritated eyes, runny nose and itchy throat that typically come with it.
If you are an allergy sufferer, check out our tips below for successful symptom reduction and prevention this season!
- Remove allergens from skin, eyelids, hair & clothing by washing thoroughly after exposure
- Do not rub your eyes, doing so increases irritation
- Apply a cool compress to allergic eyes for 20 minutes (Never apply ice directly!)
- Consider a visit to your pharmacy:
- Nasal rinse products can flush allergens from your nasal passages
- Antihistamine eye drops can relieve eye allergy symptoms quickly
- Over-the-counter allergy medications can be effective, per recommendation from your doctor
- Avoid outdoor activities during peak allergen times, mid-morning & early evening
- Protect your eyes from airborne particles by wearing sunglasses or glasses
- Remove your shoes before entering your home
- Cool your home with air conditioning instead of keeping the windows open
- Shower before bed and frequently wash your bedding
Relief from severe allergies may require prescription medications, and your eyes may experience troubling symptoms due to other issues such as dry eye syndrome, reaction to contact lenses or infection. Metro Eye’s team strongly recommends that you address any health concerns with your doctor or optometrist, and after thorough assessment your healthcare professional will provide appropriate treatments.
Schedule an eye exam with one of our expert optometrists, and Metro Eye will customize an eye care plan for you!