Amazing and Fun Facts About Eyes
We love eyes! Millions of years of evolution have made them one of the most interesting and complex components of the human body. We wish to point out all of the amazing facts that make eyes so fascinating, so sit back and enjoy our list of favorite eye facts!
- You blink almost 15,000 times a day!
- Compared to the other muscles in your body, the ones that control your eyes are the most active.
- Your eyes see everything upside down and backward. Your brain processes your vision and makes it so you can see “correctly”.
- Do you have blue eyes? You share common ancestry with all other blue-eyed people across the world, as blue eyes appeared as a mutation around 6,000 years ago.
- The human eye is composed of more than 2 million working parts.
- Only 1/6 of your eyeball is exposed to the world.
- Corneas are the only tissues in your body that don’t contain blood.
- The color of your eyes is the result of variations in the amount of melanin, a pigment found in the front part of the iris of the eye. The lack of this pigment results in blue eyes, some pigment gives people green eyes and lots of pigment gives you brown eyes.
- Your eyes blink less when you read and blink more when you talk.
- We are all born color blind, and by 6 months a baby can see every color you can.
- The most common eye color in the world is brown. Only 8% of us have blue eyes.
- It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Try it sometime!
- In the right environmental conditions, our eyes can see the light of a candle from 14 miles away.
- Your eyes have the ability to blink five times in a single second!
- Your eye muscles are so strong that they are 100 times more powerful than what they need to make the eyes move.
- Your tears are composed of mostly water, mucous and fat. Dry eye syndrome can become a problem when there’s an imbalance in this combination.
- Everyone has unseen, microscopic creatures living in their eyelashes.
- Human eyes begin to develop just two weeks after conception.
- Eyes are able to process 36,000 pieces of information in a single hour.
- Similar to being left or right handed, we all have one eye that is slightly stronger than the other.
- Wear sunglasses! Your eyes can get sunburned.
- If your eye were a digital camera, it would have 576 megapixels.
- Humans can see more shades of green than any other color.
- 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable.
- Reading on a computer screen is 25% slower than if you are reading something on paper.
Your eyes are truly a miracle of nature and it is important to keep them healthy with regular eye exams. If it has been awhile since you have had your eyes examined, contact Metro Eye today to setup an appointment!